history of Marinefliegergeschwader 1 dates back until 1957. About
nine months after the establishment of a naval air service, commissioning
of the then 1. Marinefliegergruppe was ordered on 12.03.1957. The
group was supposed to move to the former Air Force airfield Jagel,
but as this was still occupied by RAF Units by that time, 1. Mflgrp.
was - like every other naval air unit - established at Kiel-Holtenau.
Pilots for the new unit were trained by the US Navy since 1956,
with operational conversion taking place at White Waltham/GB and
Lossiemouth/GB between february and july 1958.
1. squadron was officially put into service by Kpt.z.S. Gaul on
19th may 1958. The squadron was equipped with the Armstrong
Withworth Sea Hawk naval fighter bomber. Their assigned task
was to secure the gateway between North- and Baltic Sea, as well
as to protect naval shipping in both areas.
day later, 2. squadron, equipped with propeller driven Fairey
Gannet sub hunter was put into service. After completion of
rebuildments at Jagel, 1. squadron moved from it's training grounds
in Great Britain to Jagel from 20th june 1958 onwards. 2. squadron
followed a week later.
According to "Umgliederungsbefehl Nr.1 - Marine -" from 13th july
1959 the 1. naval air group was promoted to Geschwader (airwing)
Another major change happened in december the same year, when 1.
Aufklaerungsstaffel (recce-squadron) of MFG 2 was transferred to
MFG 1. The squadron utilized Sea Hawk Mk.101 recce/fighter
bombers. A mere two years later 2. squadron - the Gannet subhunters
- was put under control of MFG 2.
october 1963 meant the beginning of the supersonic era for MFG 1,
as the wing began transitioning to the new german standard weapons
system Lockheed F-104G Starfighter.
The Starfighter was never the aircraft the Navy had wanted, but
political pressure was to big. Navy's choice would have been a low-level,
two-seated fighter bomber like the Blackburn Buccaneer.
Transition to the new type took almost two years, with the last
Sea Hawk leaving Jagel on 30th june 1965.
Starfighters career was the longest of any aircraft in MFG 1's history.
Replacement arrived with the Panavia
Tornado in 1982, when MFG 1 was selected as the first Bundeswehr
unit to receive the new hi-tech aircraft - this probably best underlines
the importentness of MFG 1's role within NATO. The basic layout
of the Tornado was what naval aviators allways wanted, a fast, low-level,
multirole, fighter bomber with a long range.
Tornado could not break the F-104's record as - as a result of the
changing political climate in europe - only 11 years after it's
introduction into MFG 1, the air wing was disbanded on 31st december
Ten of the wing's 48 Tornados went to MFG 2, while the remaining
aircraft now form the re-established Aufklaerungsgeschwader 51 (recce-wing)
of the Bundesluftwaffe.
the already mentioned aircraft, the wing also used Fouga Magisters,
Do-27 and Do-28 as well as Piaggio 149D aircraft as training and
Also mentioned should be the Navy Display team "The Flying Fish".
The team used five Sea Hawks and performed only a single public
airshow in 1961.