is the youngest of all airfields operated by the german Navy.
Construction began shortly before the outbreak of World War II
in 1938 and was finished by july 1941. Codename of the Luftwaffe
airbase was "Eskimo".
During the following years, Eggebeck provided a stopover facility
for missions against Denmark, Norway and Great Britain.
Towards the end of the war, Eggebek provided home for a variety
of air units from the baltic area, amongst them a Ju-352 heavy
transport group from Grossenrode.
1945 the airfiled was occupied by the Royal Air Force, who ferried
all airworthy aircraft and usable equipment to Great Britain.
In 1947 the remaining installations were destroyed, leaving nothing
but farmland by 1949.
Ten years later construction brigades moved to the area and began
building a new airfield according to new NATO standards. On 11th
november 1960 Secretary of Defence F.J. Strauss officially put
the airbase into service. The first Bundeswehr unit to be stationed
at Eggebek was Aufklaerungsgeschwader 52 of the german airforce
flying RF-84F Thunderflash jet aircraft.
In autumn 1965 AG52 moved to Leck near the danish border, so MFG
2 could finally move to its current airbase. On 12th march 1965
MFG 2 moved from Nordholz to Eggebek,
transforming the airfield to a Navy Air Station for the first
time in its history.