near the seaport of Cuxhaven, Nordholz is one of the older airports
rich of tradition in Germany. Permission for the purchase of needed
land for the airfield was given on 17th december 1912. Construction
of the airport installations started a year later and was finished
Nordholz originally served as a airship port for the emperial
navy. The first "Zeppelin" (L3) landing on 2nd september 1914
marked the beginning of flightoperations. A mere month later,
the Marine-Luftschiff-Abteilung moved from Hamburg-Fuhlsbuettel
to Nordholz, with the first anti-aircraft batteries arriving four
days later on 18th october the same year.
According to the treaties of Versaille, all airport installations
were dismantled after the Great War in 1919. The importance of
Nordholz is highlighted by the fact, that of all 76 airships ever
flown by the emperial navy, 42 have at any time operated out of
came back to Nordholz in 1938, when the Luftwaffe decided to rebuild
the airfield with three landingstrips. At the outbreak of World
War II 2. group of Jagdgeschwader 77 "Herz As" using Bf 109E fighters
were stationed at the base. These were suplemented by several
groups of JG 1, tasked with defending the Northsea shores against
During the occupation of Denmark and Norway, Kampfgeschwader 100
flew attacks from Nordholz with their He-111 medium bombers.
1941 and 1943 Nordholz was strikken from the list of operational
airfields, but the Luftwaffe returned in march 1943, as 3rd group
of JG 54 "Gruenherz" moved to Nordholz. 3rd group of JG 26 "Schlageter"
followed in june and 2nd group of JG 11 in august. All units,
flying Bf 109F/G stayed only a few weeks in northern germany,
before moving to the eastern front or the channel.
The bases role changed in october when it was turned into a nightfighter
base - 7th squadron of Nachtjagdgeschwader 3 moving from Stade
At the end of the war, between january and april 1945, Nordholz
had the honor of hosting the Me-163 Komet rocket aircraft coming
from parts of 2nd group of JG400.
the war was over, american forces occupied the airbase and it
served as home for P-47 Thunderbolt of 512th fighterbomber squadron
and 526th fightersquadron.
In 1947 the airfiled was handed over to the Royal Air Force, who
began dismantling the airport installations and destroying the
three concrete runways.
1959 construction of an airbase began for a third time in the
history of Nordholz. This time a single runway airfield was errected
according to NATO standards, which was to serve as a Naval Air
Station. Building ended in 1962, with the first parts of MFG 2
arriving in july.
On 26th april 1963 the airfield was officially put into service,
though the usability of the base was still limited.
A year later the subhunting component of MFG 2 moved from Westerland/Sylt
to Nordholz, while the Seahawks left with destination Eggebeck.
In 1965 the airfield was offially handed over to the planning
staffs of MFG 3.
3 was left as the only unit at Nordholz, when the final two Noratlas
of "Passon" left the airbase in 1981. The civil airgroup provided
aerial targets over the North- and Balticsea since 1964.