Bristol 171
Sycamore Mk. 52
Camouflaged Sycamore of Marinedienst- and Seenotstaffel

(taken from: F-40 #20 "Bristol 171 Sycamore Mk.52")

The british Bristol 171 Sycamore had it's first flight on 27th july 1947. The five-seated helicopter was produced until 1959 and 50 of these were sold to the Bundeswehr. Delivery took place between may 1957 and march 1959.
46 helicopters went to the Luftwaffe, while four samples arrived with the Seenotrettungsstaffel (later MFG 5) at Kiel-Holtenau in june 1958.

MFG 5 Sycamore in SAR colors(taken from: F-40 #20 "Bristol 171 Sycamore Mk.52")

The helicopter was used in the Search and Rescue role at the Navy, but results were not really satisfying. The Sycamore could only be used close to the shores, due to it's limited range, so it had to be supplemented by Grumman HU-16 Albatross flying boats.
A six additional airframes poured into naval service, as additional helicopters were needed to fullfill the SAR task. These Sycamores came from Faßberg's FFS-S (Flugzeugführerschule "S") and Ahlhorn's HRVst 1 (Hubschrauber Rettungs- und Verbindungsstaffel).
The Sycamores were finally superseeded by Sikorsky H-34G, which started to arrive at Kiel from 1963 onwards. 1966 saw the the retirement of the type from Navy service, while Luftwaffe Sycamores continued to fly with HTG 64 until the middle of 1969.

Bristol 171 Sycamore Mk.52 during resue excercise

(taken from: F-40 #20 "Bristol 171 Sycamore Mk.52")

Technical data:
 
Measures
Length             :  8,10m
Rotordiameter      : 14,80m
Height             :  4,50m
Weights
Weight empty       : 1850kg
max. Takeoff Weight: 2450kg
Performance
max. Speed         : 205km/h
Range              : 500km
Serviceceiling     : 14500ft
Engine
Alvis Leonides Mk. 73
Thrust             :  400kW
 
[back to main page]