P 149 had it's maiden flight in 1953 and was designed as a five-seat
multipurpose aircraft. It was demonstrated to German Military Officials
at Bonn in 1955 and impressed them with it's fully aerobatic capabilities
and that it was hard to stall. As a consequence, an order for a
total of 270 airlanes was signed. 194 of these aircraft were to
be built under licence by Focke-Wulf, while BMW produced the needed
Delivery of the P 149D to the Flugzeugführerschule "S" began
in mai 1957. 12 of these aircraft were transferred to the Marineflieger
and served as training-, light transport and liaison aircraft.
Four airframes went to MFG 5, two served as station hacks with MFG
2 and another six aircraft were owned by Nordholz based MFG 3. All
of these aircraft were built by Focke-Wulf at Bremen.
P 149D served in the German military till 1990, with JaboG 49. Since
then civil registred "Piggis" continue to fly with the Sprotfliegergruppen
at several German Airbases.